Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Museic





Yesterday while En was in preschool and Clay was napping, I had a couple hours to finally organize our clusstered (cluttered, muster, and fussy) closet. While I was cleaning, I decided to listen to music that I loved as a teen and beyond.

I started out listening to the first album that opened my mind to hardcore music....Minor Threat, Out of Step. Wow, these guys were like 19 years old when they recorded this album! I remember that a friend let me borrow this cassette tape (yes, I'm dated) at school and I was hooked. When I listened to the first track, it felt so familiar and strangely comforting. I just didn't know that it was hardcore. Now when I listen to it again...I kind of hate it...how does that happen?

Next, I dropped in Fugazi, which is another hardcore band with Ian (from M. Threat) as their lead singer. This one I loved, love. There's something about the first track, Waiting Room, that takes me back to All Souls Church, stomping, and releasing all the inner angst from my then teenage body. It was invigorating to hear it all over again in my Utah home.

So, of course after listening to hardcore tunes, I took a chance with Sinead O'Conner. She reminds me of my best high school Irish friend. So much angst in her voice too, but on a softer, ethereal level. Maybe she's the reason why I love Enya so much, who knows. Sinead did a bunch of ridiculous things, but we all do...just not out loud. I still like her music.

Right before Clay woke up, I put in a CD that made me even more fond of my now husband. When he shared this CD with me, it became one of the catalysts that bit my heart. "Whew, he likes good music!" was my thought and that was that. We were married shortly thereafter.

I've decided I have to keep listening to my "old" music. It puts things in perspective.

Next post: the smiths....go ahead, google them, listen to a few you tube videos...I know they're seriously 80's, but the lyrics are my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment